Family standing by Tulare Co man accused of murder
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A South Valley man is facing murder charges five years after his wife's death.
51-year-old Terry Geller appeared before a Tulare County judge on Thursday, one day after he was arrested in connection with the murder.
Tena Geller was shot and killed in 2007. Her husband was arrested then but never charged.
Geller is being held on murder charges at the Tulare County Jail. It's also where he appeared before a judge. On Tuesday, more family members are coming out in support of Geller, including his own daughter.
Geller was in a white and orange jump suit Thursday afternoon when a judge read the murder charges he faces.
Geller's hearing was videotaped and shown on a small TV screen in a lobby outside the courtroom. That's where family members of the suspect and victim both gathered, all in support of Geller.
Geller's arraignment was postponed while he gets his own attorney.
Afterwards family members did not want to go on camera but say he's wrongly accused.
"My dad would never do anything to hurt my mom. He loved her dearly," daughter Heather Geller said.
Action News spoke with Geller's daughter over the phone and says she is standing behind her father.
Geller is accused of killing his wife in 2007. Visalia police found Tena Geller dead with a gunshot wound in the couple's Harold Street home. Her husband had called 911 saying he accidentally shot her. Terry Geller was arrested at the time but never charged.
"He feels so bad that this happened because of him. He's so remorseful that he did this to our mother and I but we don't blame him at all," Heather Geller said.
Five years later the DA's office is filing charges based on new evidence that proves it was more than just an accident.
"We do not file cases unless we believe we have admissible evidence that will prove the charges we file, so we're confident in the charges," Tulare County Assistant DA Shani Jenkins said.
Now a family that was moving on with their lives after this tragedy is left with more questions than answers.
"We're reliving everything all over again and I'm afraid I'm going to lose my dad too now when I shouldn't," Heather Geller said.
Geller will be arraigned sometime in August. If convicted, he faces 50 years to life in prison.
tulare county, visalia, court, crimetracker, murder, local, carlos saucedo
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia 9 min ago
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off 33 min ago
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Runners hit streets for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- 'Dogs women's, men's hoops set for postseason 1 min ago
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose...
47 min ago