Fresno Fire Department team holds training day
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Friday was training day for the Fresno Fire Department Urban Search and Rescue Team.
As part of the exercise the fire department dropped a car into a canal and divers practiced different rescue techniques in and around the submerged vehicle.
Meanwhile, crews on dry land directed the divers where to go. This particular training is unique for a city fire department but also very important for Fresno because of the all the canal hazards.
"Really this is unusual. We're one of the only fire departments in the nation that does swift water in confined space diving. We have to do it here because of all the canals. We have hundreds of miles of canals running through our city," Koby Johns of the Fresno Fire Department said.
In addition to swift-water and confined space diving, the team trains for trench rescues and is usually on the scene to help when a building collapses.
fresno, fresno county, fresno fire department, local
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove 23 min ago
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman