Merced Co officials identify man shot by officers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Merced County Sheriff's Department says a suspect shot and killed by Turlock police is a parolee with criminal past that dates back more than ten years.
He's been identified as 31-year-old Joseph Davis and investigators say he was armed and in a stolen vehicle when officers first confronted him at a Turlock motel Saturday morning.
A chase followed and officers say they opened fire after Davis fired a gun while trying to carjack a vehicle on the Bradbury Road overpass above Highway 99.
One officer was shot in the leg but it's unclear who fired the shot that struck him.
The three officers involved in the shooting have placed on administrative leave while the investigation continues.
turlock, merced county, officer involved shooting, local
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels 7 min ago
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing 32 min ago
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel 52 min ago
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting
- Fresno County man arrested after running from deputies
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases