Merced Co officials identify man shot by officers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Merced County Sheriff's Department says a suspect shot and killed by Turlock police is a parolee with criminal past that dates back more than ten years.
He's been identified as 31-year-old Joseph Davis and investigators say he was armed and in a stolen vehicle when officers first confronted him at a Turlock motel Saturday morning.
A chase followed and officers say they opened fire after Davis fired a gun while trying to carjack a vehicle on the Bradbury Road overpass above Highway 99.
One officer was shot in the leg but it's unclear who fired the shot that struck him.
The three officers involved in the shooting have placed on administrative leave while the investigation continues.
turlock, merced county, officer involved shooting, local
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 46 min ago
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal 32 min ago
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week 15 min ago
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals