Inmate found dead in Merced Co facility
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Merced County Sheriff's Department is investigating the death of a female inmate who was found dead just as family members arrived to bail her out of jail.
Leticia Willoughby was found unresponsive early Saturday morning after Merced police booked her into John Latorraca Correctional Facility overnight on drug violations and a gang enhancement.
The Merced County Sheriff's Department says Willoughby was checked out by medical staff after she complained of chills and then told staff she wanted to rest.
She was later found dead in her cell. Investigators are waiting for autopsy results to determine what caused her death.
merced county, local
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Young woman dies in hit-run crash on Highway 99
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack