Thieves stealing from the dead in Sanger
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Valley family with a rich military tradition is asking for your help. A plaque belonging to them was stolen from the Sanger Cemetery sometime within the last few weeks.
Jess Puga would be almost 64 years old now. He served in the military, along with three of his brothers and their father. But a recent discovery at the cemetery has his family very upset, after they discovered thieves took his grave marker.
A quiet corner in the back of the Sanger Cemetery is a peaceful place Vivian Carrillo felt was the perfect setting for her family to rest. But, now she's concerned, it's a become a place for thieves to take advantage of the dead. Carrillo's brother, Jess served in the Navy, where some of his favorite memories were as a cook.
Carrillo said, "They fought for our country, they've served our country and to have their resting place desecrated is totally unforgivable."
The plaque is bronze, and not worth a lot for thieves to cash in on. But, Carrillo says cemetery workers told her brass sprinklers were also taken around the same time the grave marker turned up gone. She worries desperate thieves will return to take more.
Carrillo said, "Being that I'm a military mother and sister and daughter, I've always been red, white and blue and I guess I'm going to have to pick up a cause on this because something's gotta be done, we can't allow this."
This isn't the first time thieves have targeted Valley cemeteries. In May, thieves broke into a glass niche at St Peter's Cemetery, and took several valuables, including jewelry.
Since the most recent theft, Carrillo says she's started visiting the cemetery more often, just to make sure vandals aren't ripping off anyone else.
Carrillo says she is contacting some veteran organizations to see if this is becoming a trend and whether they can help replace the plaque. If not, she says she will save the money for her brother to get a new one.
theft, crimetracker, sanger, fresno county, local, sontaya rose
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000 25 min ago
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Walking Dead actress admits sending ricin to Obama
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- Holiday season cookies and cocktails
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos