Toddler in Fresno DUI crash regains consciousness
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Encouraging news for a family who was struck in a crosswalk last week by a man police say was drunk.
18-month-old Bella, suffered a brain injury when she was hit. Her 7-year-old brother, Donovan Maldonado died in the crash. Their father seriously injured his leg.
Close friends told Action News Bella has regained consciousness and is no longer in a medically induced coma. Friends say when she woke up, she looked at her mom and tried to reach for her. Despite the encouraging sign, Bella remains in critical condition.
Earlier Tuesday, Bella's father, Jesse underwent another surgery to repair his leg.
Loren LeBeau was arrested for hitting the family last Wednesday night as they rode their bikes through a crosswalk near Shepherd and Perrin.
LeBeau's blood alcohol content was .11 at the time.
fresno county, fresno, fresno northeast, dui, crimetracker, local
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76