Toddler in Fresno DUI crash regains consciousness
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Encouraging news for a family who was struck in a crosswalk last week by a man police say was drunk.
18-month-old Bella, suffered a brain injury when she was hit. Her 7-year-old brother, Donovan Maldonado died in the crash. Their father seriously injured his leg.
Close friends told Action News Bella has regained consciousness and is no longer in a medically induced coma. Friends say when she woke up, she looked at her mom and tried to reach for her. Despite the encouraging sign, Bella remains in critical condition.
Earlier Tuesday, Bella's father, Jesse underwent another surgery to repair his leg.
Loren LeBeau was arrested for hitting the family last Wednesday night as they rode their bikes through a crosswalk near Shepherd and Perrin.
LeBeau's blood alcohol content was .11 at the time.
fresno county, fresno, fresno northeast, dui, crimetracker, local
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors 13 min ago
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest 24 min ago
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher