Toddler in Fresno DUI crash regains consciousness
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Encouraging news for a family who was struck in a crosswalk last week by a man police say was drunk.
18-month-old Bella, suffered a brain injury when she was hit. Her 7-year-old brother, Donovan Maldonado died in the crash. Their father seriously injured his leg.
Close friends told Action News Bella has regained consciousness and is no longer in a medically induced coma. Friends say when she woke up, she looked at her mom and tried to reach for her. Despite the encouraging sign, Bella remains in critical condition.
Earlier Tuesday, Bella's father, Jesse underwent another surgery to repair his leg.
Loren LeBeau was arrested for hitting the family last Wednesday night as they rode their bikes through a crosswalk near Shepherd and Perrin.
LeBeau's blood alcohol content was .11 at the time.
fresno county, fresno, fresno northeast, dui, crimetracker, local
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- David Cameron: London attack could be terror
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Crabtree may have a torn Achilles tendon
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops
- US home sales tick up to highest in 3 ½ years
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals