Woman shot after Central Fresno fight dies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A woman shot in Central Fresno after a fight earlier this week has died.
The Fresno County Coroner's Office says 18-year-old Nicole Jones died after being shot in the face with a shotgun near the intersection of Vassar and Glenn on Wednesday. Investigators say the shooting happened after a fight between two women that had been broken up by bystanders. Police say Jones was not involved in the original altercation.
A mother of ten, Naomi Ramirez, was also hit in the back by pellets from the shotgun.
Police say Tony Leon, an alleged gang member, was responsible for the shooting and was arrested at the scene after being identified by witnesses. Investigators say they also recovered a sawed-off shotgun in the area.
Leon's criminal record includes convictions for auto theft, participating in a gang, and escaping from prison.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, shooting, crimetracker, local
- Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma tornado
- Jodi Arias asks for life in prison
- Standoff ends peacefully in Central Fresno
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced
- State senate special election approaching
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley
- Impact of Oklahoma tornado devastation felt in Valley
- Photos: Aftermath of deadly tornadoes
- Madera County fire nearly contained
- Asparagus demand goes up as supply shrinks
- California cherry harvest begins
- California sheep ranchers face high costs, competition
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
- Valley Works: Educational partnership providing opportunities