Woman shot after Central Fresno fight dies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A woman shot in Central Fresno after a fight earlier this week has died.
The Fresno County Coroner's Office says 18-year-old Nicole Jones died after being shot in the face with a shotgun near the intersection of Vassar and Glenn on Wednesday. Investigators say the shooting happened after a fight between two women that had been broken up by bystanders. Police say Jones was not involved in the original altercation.
A mother of ten, Naomi Ramirez, was also hit in the back by pellets from the shotgun.
Police say Tony Leon, an alleged gang member, was responsible for the shooting and was arrested at the scene after being identified by witnesses. Investigators say they also recovered a sawed-off shotgun in the area.
Leon's criminal record includes convictions for auto theft, participating in a gang, and escaping from prison.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, shooting, crimetracker, local
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season 34 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident