Sale raises money for family of boy killed in crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A yard sale has helped raise money for the family of a little boy who was killed by a suspected drunk driver last month.
Seven-year-old Donovan Maldonado died after being hit by a car in Northeast Fresno. His father and sister were also severely injured in the incident.
Donovan Maldonado was laid to rest Saturday in Clovis. Action News spoke with some of the little boy's family members who were at that funeral and they told me while they're still very upset about the way the little boy died, but they're now focusing on rallying behind his family.
The long lines of people who came out to show their support is something Donovan Maldonado's family members are grateful for.
"It's overwhelming but it's also inspiring to know that the community has poured out so much to try and help my nephew and his wife. It's just amazing," Victoria Haney said.
Nearly two weeks after seven-year-old Donovan was killed, his great aunt Victoria is still reeling about how the little boy passed away.
"Oh god! I can't imagine. I can't think about that it's too hard. It had to have been awful what was going through his little mind," Haney said.
On Sunday she and other family members showed us this program from the seven year old's funeral. They're now rallying behind his little sister and father.
"Now that Donovan has been laid to rest we just want to concentrate on getting them well," Haney said.
Police say the suspect, Central High School Basketball Coach Loren LeBeau, was arrested and charged with DUI. Investigators say he had a .11 blood alcohol level.
Nickie Borojeni-Debussui and others who rummaged through Sunday's sale say the came to take a stand against drunk driving.
"There's no reason for that. There is people you can call, there is free services there is no excuse for drinking and driving. None at all," she said.
"We are new to town but we heard the story and we have kids that are the same age, he's actually also seven and we don't live far from where that happened," Kim Ernest of Fresno said.
At last check Donovan's father Jesse was in good condition but his 18-month-old sister Bella was still listed as critical. A public service is scheduled for the little boy on august 13th at People's Church.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, dui, local, mariana jacob
- 700 Carstens Fire evacuees will be allowed home
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny 58 min ago
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6 31 min ago
- Sierra Fire near Auberry at 50 percent containment
- Grapes become Fresno County's 1st billion dollar crop
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails
- FPD seize weapons from gang members
- Car Crashes into a Visalia Chipotle
- Man finds Reedley mother's stolen ashes
- Police identify Central Fresno murder suspect