7-year-old girl drowns in the Merced River
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A search for a missing 7-year-old girl came to a heartbreaking end in Merced County Sunday. Her body was discovered in the Merced River after a three hour search.
The Merced Sun Star says the girl went missing around 3 p.m. Sunday. The search and rescue team with Merced County Sheriff's Department searched the McConnell State Recreation Area for hours hoping to find the girl alive.
The department helicopter spotted the girl's body in the river around 6 p.m. Sunday night. Sheriff's officials say this is a grim reminder to make sure to use life jackets and proper safety equipment when visiting the river.
merced county, livingston, atwater, turlock, drowning, local
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times