7-year-old girl drowns in the Merced River
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A search for a missing 7-year-old girl came to a heartbreaking end in Merced County Sunday. Her body was discovered in the Merced River after a three hour search.
The Merced Sun Star says the girl went missing around 3 p.m. Sunday. The search and rescue team with Merced County Sheriff's Department searched the McConnell State Recreation Area for hours hoping to find the girl alive.
The department helicopter spotted the girl's body in the river around 6 p.m. Sunday night. Sheriff's officials say this is a grim reminder to make sure to use life jackets and proper safety equipment when visiting the river.
merced county, livingston, atwater, turlock, drowning, local
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
- Grass fire contained in Fresno County
- Made in the Valley: Top O' The Morn Farms
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos