Washington Union High School students talk heat
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Summer is coming to a close for a number of Valley schools but for kids at one school district, summer is officially over.
Tuesday was the first day of class for more than a thousand students at Washington Union High School. Some of the students Action News talked to were excited to be back, but others didn't just have to battle the back-to-school blues, they also had to take on the heat.
Students at Washington Union High School are craving the cold in the 100 plus heat. Jasmine Bush and her buddies are finding cool comfort in ice-cream during their lunch break.
"Because it will help me cool down from the heat because I hate the heat a lot," Bush said. "It always drives me crazy."
Jacob Rodriguez and his friends are beating the broil by spending their lunch time at the school's library.
"Them out there they are probably sweating and being hot," Rodriguez said. "We are in here being nice and cool."
For more than a thousand students in this district, Tuesday marked the first day back at school. Principal Derek Cruz says staff members prepared for the scorching sun before school re-opened.
Cruz said, "When school resumes we experience some extreme heat but just making sure maintenance is checking our air conditioning systems so when kids come back to the classroom its cool and comfortable."
PE classes are often moved indoors when the temperature rise and the air quality is affected. Cruz says keeping kids cool helps them excel at school.
Cruz added, "It's important that we increase their chances for academic success by being in a comfortable classroom all day long."
But for most of the students here, staying comfortable and surviving the summer roast is, all about strategy.
Grecia Castillo said, "Try to wear really really light clothes, don't forget the water and try to stand in the shade if you can find it."
Football practice at the high school doesn't start back up until next week, if the weather heats up, practice is often pushed back to cooler hours.
heat wave, local, mariana jacob
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia 41 min ago
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case
- Clovis mother writes 'It's Ok, Mama Has Cancer'