Explosion rocks Bass Lake Courthouse
MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities in Madera County are investigating an explosion near the courthouse in Bass Lake. The Madera County Sheriff's office says some sort of explosive device went off near the back entrance of the courthouse at about 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning.
No one was in the building at the time but the courthouse was shut for the day. A spokesperson for Cal Fire says the impact of the explosion shattered the building's doors. Deputies say those responsible will face serious charges. Undersheriff Frank Benard said, "Arson of course is a serious felony crime. Making a bomb threat would be considered a terrorist threat as well because this went way beyond someone making a threat to the facility."
Detectives say there are surveillance cameras inside and outside the courthouse. Investigators will sift through that footage in the coming days.
Courthouse administrators tell Action News the court is expected to reopen tomorrow.
bass lake, madera county, explosion, local, mariana jacob
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos