Explosion rocks Bass Lake Courthouse
MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities in Madera County are investigating an explosion near the courthouse in Bass Lake. The Madera County Sheriff's office says some sort of explosive device went off near the back entrance of the courthouse at about 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning.
No one was in the building at the time but the courthouse was shut for the day. A spokesperson for Cal Fire says the impact of the explosion shattered the building's doors. Deputies say those responsible will face serious charges. Undersheriff Frank Benard said, "Arson of course is a serious felony crime. Making a bomb threat would be considered a terrorist threat as well because this went way beyond someone making a threat to the facility."
Detectives say there are surveillance cameras inside and outside the courthouse. Investigators will sift through that footage in the coming days.
Courthouse administrators tell Action News the court is expected to reopen tomorrow.
bass lake, madera county, explosion, local, mariana jacob
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Hotels helping displaced guests after Oakhurst Lodge fire
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires