Explosion rocks Bass Lake Courthouse
MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities in Madera County are investigating an explosion near the courthouse in Bass Lake. The Madera County Sheriff's office says some sort of explosive device went off near the back entrance of the courthouse at about 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning.
No one was in the building at the time but the courthouse was shut for the day. A spokesperson for Cal Fire says the impact of the explosion shattered the building's doors. Deputies say those responsible will face serious charges. Undersheriff Frank Benard said, "Arson of course is a serious felony crime. Making a bomb threat would be considered a terrorist threat as well because this went way beyond someone making a threat to the facility."
Detectives say there are surveillance cameras inside and outside the courthouse. Investigators will sift through that footage in the coming days.
Courthouse administrators tell Action News the court is expected to reopen tomorrow.
bass lake, madera county, explosion, local, mariana jacob
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room 39 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress 24 min ago
- Avatars helping athletes 14 min ago
- Costly headphone disappoints 10 min ago
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times 28 min ago
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire 33 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Consumer Watch: Costly headphone disappoints
12 min ago
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay...
45 min ago