12-year-old hit by bullet while doing homework
August 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- A 12-year-old was wounded in the leg as she was doing her homework after gunfire erupted in the city's Marquette Park neighborhood.
Crystal Booker is recovering after being struck by a bullet in the 6500-block of South Talman on the front porch of her family's home Wednesday night around 6:30 p.m.
Police say the gunman fired nearly a dozen shots at the home. No one in custody.
"She told me she was doing fine, but she said she was in a lot of pain," said Aelicia Booker, Crystal's cousin.
Witnesses say it was after Crystal was joined by several other family members and friends that shots rang out.
"There were babies, there were kids out here. They were playing ball and everything," said Nelly Aparcio, family friend. "I was over there in the park and I guess they were just shooting. We seen everybody run and then I guess the shooter ran that way."
Crystal's cousin says the bullet passed through her right thigh. The girl was taken to an area hospital where she was treated and released.
Meanwhile, her friends say they can't believe the 7th grader was the intended target of the attack. Relatives say she headed back to class on Monday and is a straight A student at Claremont Academy Elementary School.
"To me, it scared me," said Booker. "It scared me like so, so bad."
local, evelyn holmes
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Accuweather Forecast
5 min ago