Lowell Community Garden celebrates opening
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News was in Central Fresno where residents celebrated the opening of the Lowell Community Garden. The garden is located on the southwest corner of Belmont and Poplar and consists of 32-different plots.
The project is part of the Lowell neighborhood, which has been two years in the making. Now, residents in the area have a community garden in which they can harvest a variety of vegetables.
"Four months ago this was a plot of bear dirt in a very unremarkable place close to a freeway," Mayor Ashley Swearengin said. "And yet today, four months later, it's been transformed into an incredible project thanks to residents organizing themselves."
Fresno ranks number two in the nation as a food insecure city. The community garden gives people a chance to feed themselves and their neighbors.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, local
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children 23 min ago
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop 4 min ago
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- 7 health apps you need to know about