Vandalism forces closure of Pine Flat campground
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Acts of vandalism have forced officials to shut down a popular campsite in Fresno County. The Pine Flat Campground located below the Pine Flat Dam on Trimmer Springs Road is closed indefinitely.
Vandals destroyed the bathrooms at the Pine Flat Campground, tearing out the plumbing and creating a mess. "Without the bathrooms, we can't have it open for overnight camping. So the decision was made to close the park grounds," said Fresno County Department of Public Works and Planning Resources Manager John Thompson.
Nearby Winton Park remains open but things aren't looking much better there. Vandals tagged rocks, barbeques, and even trees with graffiti. "It was horrible. It didn't look like nature. It looked like a nightmare," said visitor Jose Zarate of Fresno.
Unfortunately, it wasn't the first time Fresno County has had to deal with vandalism at its parks. Budget cuts have forced them to leave them unstaffed. "It's open game. We don't have the staff there. And without anyone there, you can do whatever you want," said Thompson.
The cost to repair the constant cycle of vandalism is draining the county's resources. Visitors like Zarate say they're the ones who suffer. "We don't have the money to do all this other stuff so we come out here and entertain ourselves with nature and now we can't even do that. It's sad," said Zarate.
For now, Winton Park remains open. County staff hopes to have the graffiti painted over within the next week.
The Pine Flat Campground is leased to the county by the Army Corps of Engineers. Thompson said it would be up to the Army Corps to decide whether it will renew the county's lease. The Fresno County Board of Supervisors will be briefed on the situation next month.
local, amanda perez
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car 7 min ago
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list 28 min ago
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Fresno auto repair shops look for next...
33 min ago