Tulare Co Deputy shoots suspect in hatchet attack
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Tulare County Deputy was injured after investigators say a pulled-over motorist attacked the deputy with a hatchet.
Tulare County authorities say a sheriff's deputy shot a man in the Ducor area on Road 192 near Avenue 48. Authorities say a traffic stop Tuesday night turned violent when a man inside the pulled-over car attacked a deputy with a hatchet.
Tulare County authorities say a sheriff's deputy pulled over the suspects' truck. The driver has been identified as 52-year-old Nicholas Sanchez Ensaldo, and the passenger as 30-year-old Orlando Garcia Ensaldo. Both are Mexican citizens and live in the Richgrove area.
Authorities say when the deputy approached the truck, the suspect sitting in the passenger's seat took out a hatchet and attacked him. Tulare County officials say the deputy fired his gun during the struggle to defend himself.
"The officer had made contact with the occupants of the vehicle -- was searching the vehicle. At that point one of the suspects took the hatchet and assaulted the officer," said Chris Douglass with the Tulare County Sheriff's Office.
It's unclear how many shots were fired. The deputy was taken to the hospital and has since been released.
The suspect who was shot remains hospitalized and authorities say he will be booked for attempted homicide. The driver of the truck was arrested for driving under the influence and for an immigration hold.
The deputy involved is now on paid administrative leave while the investigation continues.
tulare county, officer involved shooting, crimetracker, ducor, terra bella, porterville, delano, richgrove, local
- 5.7 earthquake strikes northeast of Chico
- BBQ101 at Caruthers High School
- Parlier homicide victim identified as Francisco Esquivel-Lucio
- Maldonado family sues Fresno over underground bike path
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge
- Fresno Police looking for robbery suspect
- Bicyclist hit by big rig in Madera County
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Man allegedly downloads child porn at McDonald's
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- Crisis Map of Moore, Oklahoma Tornado Damage
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case