Tulare Co Deputy shoots suspect in hatchet attack
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Tulare County Deputy was injured after investigators say a pulled-over motorist attacked the deputy with a hatchet.
Tulare County authorities say a sheriff's deputy shot a man in the Ducor area on Road 192 near Avenue 48. Authorities say a traffic stop Tuesday night turned violent when a man inside the pulled-over car attacked a deputy with a hatchet.
Tulare County authorities say a sheriff's deputy pulled over the suspects' truck. The driver has been identified as 52-year-old Nicholas Sanchez Ensaldo, and the passenger as 30-year-old Orlando Garcia Ensaldo. Both are Mexican citizens and live in the Richgrove area.
Authorities say when the deputy approached the truck, the suspect sitting in the passenger's seat took out a hatchet and attacked him. Tulare County officials say the deputy fired his gun during the struggle to defend himself.
"The officer had made contact with the occupants of the vehicle -- was searching the vehicle. At that point one of the suspects took the hatchet and assaulted the officer," said Chris Douglass with the Tulare County Sheriff's Office.
It's unclear how many shots were fired. The deputy was taken to the hospital and has since been released.
The suspect who was shot remains hospitalized and authorities say he will be booked for attempted homicide. The driver of the truck was arrested for driving under the influence and for an immigration hold.
The deputy involved is now on paid administrative leave while the investigation continues.
tulare county, officer involved shooting, crimetracker, ducor, terra bella, porterville, delano, richgrove, local
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers 50 min ago
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos