Valley Congressmen ask to re-open Hanford meat plant
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Valley Congressmen Devin Nunes, Jeff Denham, and Kevin McCarthy sent a letter today to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack seeking the re-opening of a meat processing plant in Hanford.
The Department of Agriculture recently suspended all operations at the cEntral Valley Meat Company after a video surfaced showing cows being poked, prodded, and even shocked.
Citing the idling of hundreds of workers at the plant, regional economic damage resulting from its closure, and that the alleged violations never compromised the food supply -- the Congressmen asked Secretary Vilsack to re-open the plant under enhanced supervision while an investigation of the plant continues.
There's no word yet from Vilsack's office.
hanford, kings county, beef, local
- 2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- Action News talks with Mrs. California
- Disaster relief for cattle ranchers
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region