Valley Congressmen ask to re-open Hanford meat plant
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Valley Congressmen Devin Nunes, Jeff Denham, and Kevin McCarthy sent a letter today to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack seeking the re-opening of a meat processing plant in Hanford.
The Department of Agriculture recently suspended all operations at the cEntral Valley Meat Company after a video surfaced showing cows being poked, prodded, and even shocked.
Citing the idling of hundreds of workers at the plant, regional economic damage resulting from its closure, and that the alleged violations never compromised the food supply -- the Congressmen asked Secretary Vilsack to re-open the plant under enhanced supervision while an investigation of the plant continues.
There's no word yet from Vilsack's office.
hanford, kings county, beef, local
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley 8 min ago
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District 7 min ago
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno 3 min ago
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose 26 min ago
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues 50 min ago
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Hotels helping displaced guests after Oakhurst Lodge fire
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos