Friends, customers remember murdered store employee
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An employee at a Southeast Fresno Mini Mart has died after he was shot while working at the Super One Food and Liquor store.
The victim has been identified as 45-year-old Kashmir Manes of Fresno.
Store owners say the victim and cashier were getting ready to close last night when two masked men entered the store.
The employee who many knew by the name Bagoo was very well-liked. Many said he was like a family member. Now police are trying to track down the bold robbers who shot him just before closing.
Super One Food and Liquor was closed for business Friday, but it didn't stop countless customers from pulling in. Many said Kashmir Manes, or "Bagoo" was more than an employee, he was funny and warm and greeted everyone that walked through the door.
"He just, 'hey Freddy', he always told me like that, you know. And I bought some tickets and I went home and scratched them. They are both playing around with me tickling me like that when I walked in, especially Bagoo," longtime customer Federico Rendon said.
"It's heartbreaking because everyday we are here, every other day we are here. You come making store runs, a little of everything and it's like 'wow'," customer Greg Ramirez said.
Many customers said Manes treated each customer with respect, even when some would leave without paying for their items.
Friday morning, several other local liquor store owners came to pay their respects to Bagoo. Many didn't even know him. Robberies have always been a concern, but not nearly as worrisome as they are now.
"Employees also feel that crime is getting up and people are not afraid of doing crimes because they are getting let go from the jails once they go in, they're out," business owner Andy Chikara said.
"This reminds me of what happened in the nineties, somebody came on Shields and Maple store and just cold-blooded killed a guy," business owner Bob Bhaurla said.
Fresno police aren't saying much about the murder. Store owners say investigators did collect surveillance video from inside the store. The other employee working during the robbery was a cashier who was injured, but survived the attack. Owners say he was hit on the head with a metal rod and had to get several stitches in his head.
Friends and customers are having a candlelight vigil Friday night at 7:30 for Kashmir Manes. Police say they do have strong leads in the case but so far, no arrests have been made.
fresno, fresno southeast, shooting, crimetracker, homicide, local, sontaya rose
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos