Hundreds get free emissions tests at Fresno Fairgrounds
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Getting your car to pass a smog test can be expensive, but on Saturday hundreds of people got free emissions tests and vouchers for repairs at the Fresno Fairgrounds.
Starting your car and revving up your engine is pretty pricey if you don't pass a smog test. Veneacia Colwell didn't, but she's grateful for Saturday's emissions test and repair that saved her hundreds of dollars.
"I am extremely happy because it helped out a lot and we don't have to pay for the smog," Colwell said.
Colwell lined up with about 600 others to get their rides tested for free.
"We in Fresno particularly get a huge turn out and, yeah, there was people camping out at night," Jose Marin of Valley Clean Air Now said.
The event is hosted by Valley Clean Air Now and the Air Pollution Control District. Those who don't pass the smog test get a $500 voucher to have their cars repaired.
"These are folks here who are saying I want to be responsible and do what I can to make sure my car is up to California state standards as far as emissions are concerned but I may not have the money to fix my smog issues," Fresno City Council Member Oliver Baines said.
Baines sits on the board of the Air Pollution Control District. He says providing people with vouchers to tune up their cars is good for the local economy.
"90% of that money is spent right here in Fresno so the good thing is we get a lot of recaptured dollars right here so our automotive repair shops are the beneficiaries of this grant money," Baines said.
And with recent mix of hot weather and pollution Valley drivers say they're happy to help battle bad air.
"I'm helping out the environment and it's also helping me out too because I get to breathe better," Siles Roy of Fresno said.
The next free test is scheduled for September 8 at the Merced County Fairgrounds.
fresno, fresno county, local, mariana jacob
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery 23 min ago
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos