Chowchilla woman shot after pointing fake gun at officers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An investigation is underway in Chowchilla, after authorities say a police officer shot and injured a woman.
The shooting happened around 7 p.m. Sunday night, in a vacant lot off Robertson Boulevard near Front Street.
Police went to the area after getting a call about a suicidal person threatening to shoot herself. Officers say as they tried to talk to her, she pointed what looked like a gun at them and refused to drop it. That's when officers shot at her.
The gun turned out to be a toy or replica. The woman was taken to the hospital. Her condition has not yet been released.
The Madera County Sheriff's Office is handling the case. The officers involved are expected to be placed on administrative leave, during the investigation.
chowchilla, madera county, officer involved shooting, crimetracker, local
- Video: Valentine closed near Ashlan due to police investigation 50 min ago
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly 10 min ago
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor
- Business leaders discuss drought impact