Chowchilla woman shot after pointing fake gun at officers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An investigation is underway in Chowchilla, after authorities say a police officer shot and injured a woman.
The shooting happened around 7 p.m. Sunday night, in a vacant lot off Robertson Boulevard near Front Street.
Police went to the area after getting a call about a suicidal person threatening to shoot herself. Officers say as they tried to talk to her, she pointed what looked like a gun at them and refused to drop it. That's when officers shot at her.
The gun turned out to be a toy or replica. The woman was taken to the hospital. Her condition has not yet been released.
The Madera County Sheriff's Office is handling the case. The officers involved are expected to be placed on administrative leave, during the investigation.
chowchilla, madera county, officer involved shooting, crimetracker, local
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Hotels helping displaced guests after Oakhurst Lodge fire
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires