Burglaries plague Old Town Clovis businesses
CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) -- Crime in Old Town Clovis has shop owners concerned. Recent break-ins have already cost businesses more than $100,000. But early Monday morning, the would-be thieves walked away without anything.
Boarded up windows along Pollasky Avenue are reminders of one crime and a crime that could have been. Early Monday, someone smashed the window at Jackson Jewelers. Police responded after an alarm went off but before the suspects they could take anything.
That wasn't the case at the Clovis Sports Shop late last week. "They weren't here long enough to just grab stuff. They grabbed certain pieces and were gone," said owner Brad Stoops. Stoops said the thieves took four game-worn, autographed helmets that were signed by former 49ers. Their combined value: more than $12,000.
Earlier this summer, a smash and grab burglar was captured on the Action News Old Town Clovis Skycam in the wee hours of the morning. That time, jewelry cases were emptied from the business and more than $100,000 worth of jewelry was stolen.
The most recent incidents also happened early in the morning. "They both took place just before 2:00 a.m. The one last week and the one this week," said Janet Stoll-Lee, a spokesperson with the Clovis Police Department.
Stoll-Lee said it's too soon to know if the cases are connected. While the investigations continue, a special meeting involving business owners has been called for Tuesday to discuss what to do next. "We're looking at a few options but something needs to be done. What that answer is, I don't know. But we'll do what we can," said Stoops.
clovis, fresno county, crimetracker, burglary, local, amanda perez
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- Toys for Tots warehouse sits empty
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Wonder Woman cast for Batman and Superman film
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Accuweather Forecast
9 min ago