Jesse Morrow Mountain mine fails to win approval
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A major mining project in Fresno County failed to win approval from county leaders. The location -- Jesse Morrow Mountain -- is off Highway 180 in eastern Fresno County.
The supervisors listened to public comments throughout the day and into the evening. They considered overturning the planning commission's decision against giving CEMEX the permits to mine the mountain, and create jobs.
The international cement company owns the property and wanted to take 1.5 million tons of rock from it every year for fifty years. But opponents say that would create pollution, traffic trouble, and hurt scenic views.
fresno county, local
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
- Grass fire contained in Fresno County
- Made in the Valley: Top O' The Morn Farms
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos