Atwater boy, 4, dies after being crushed by a truck
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Atwater police are investigating an accident that left a four-year-old boy dead. The accident happened at a home on Brownell Avenue near Bellevue Road Tuesday afternoon.
Officers say Teresa De La Cruz was watching her grandson when an alarm on her son's truck started going off. She went outside with the key fob and tried to use the remote to turn off the alarm. But she accidentally pushed the remote start button. The truck was in second gear, and lurched forward, crushing the little boy against a metal fence. He later died at the hospital.
"We see tragic events quite often," Lt. Sammy Joseph said. "Seeing a child passing away and being in that condition, affects you a little bit more, it definitely does."
Police say at this point, they do not believe anyone will face charges for the boy's death.
atwater, merced county, merced, local
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices 39 min ago
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford 34 min ago
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
35 min ago
- Fresno State Bulldogs get out of practice...
52 min ago
- Online love connection leads to some...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos