Atwater boy, 4, dies after being crushed by a truck
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Atwater police are investigating an accident that left a four-year-old boy dead. The accident happened at a home on Brownell Avenue near Bellevue Road Tuesday afternoon.
Officers say Teresa De La Cruz was watching her grandson when an alarm on her son's truck started going off. She went outside with the key fob and tried to use the remote to turn off the alarm. But she accidentally pushed the remote start button. The truck was in second gear, and lurched forward, crushing the little boy against a metal fence. He later died at the hospital.
"We see tragic events quite often," Lt. Sammy Joseph said. "Seeing a child passing away and being in that condition, affects you a little bit more, it definitely does."
Police say at this point, they do not believe anyone will face charges for the boy's death.
atwater, merced county, merced, local
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
- Grass fire contained in Fresno County
- Made in the Valley: Top O' The Morn Farms
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos