Atwater boy, 4, dies after being crushed by a truck
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Atwater police are investigating an accident that left a four-year-old boy dead. The accident happened at a home on Brownell Avenue near Bellevue Road Tuesday afternoon.
Officers say Teresa De La Cruz was watching her grandson when an alarm on her son's truck started going off. She went outside with the key fob and tried to use the remote to turn off the alarm. But she accidentally pushed the remote start button. The truck was in second gear, and lurched forward, crushing the little boy against a metal fence. He later died at the hospital.
"We see tragic events quite often," Lt. Sammy Joseph said. "Seeing a child passing away and being in that condition, affects you a little bit more, it definitely does."
Police say at this point, they do not believe anyone will face charges for the boy's death.
atwater, merced county, merced, local
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos