Clovis residents 'fired up' over new business
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- About 50 people packed the Clovis Police Department Community Room on Wednesday night to voice their concerns about "The Firing Line". The indoor shooting range opened in March and the residents in the neighborhood behind Dayton Avenue say they hear gun shots and rounds being fired 7 days a week.
The meeting was held to provide community members with information about the range's conditional use permit. Mayor Pro Tem Lynne Ashbeck says the business is in compliance and is operating within acceptable noise levels per the City's Ordinace. Bruce Meredith, who lives right behind the range, bought a decible meter to monitor the sound coming from the range. He says, "it used to be rather pleasant, we worried about airplanes once in a while, but now, it's constant gunfire seven days a week".
Other residents say most of the home owners and renters in the neighborhood support gun laws and gun permits and even support the business- just not the noise. Bill DeGroot tells Action News, "there can't be any noise out of that building, that's the bottom line. I don't mind the business itself, it's the noise".
City leaders say they're attempting to mediate a "reasonable" outcome for all the parties involved. Ashbeck says, "I want to do everything we can to make the building sound proof. That's the win-win for the business owner, we want him to stay in business".
The manager of "The Firing Line" told Action News, the business has 100% complied with the City's conditional use permit. The range will be up for annual review in March of 2013.
local, stephanie stone
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon 14 min ago
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm 55 min ago
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- OTRC: Paul Walker autopsy results released
- BART train evacuated after brake problem
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Accuweather Forecast
53 min ago