Beach party kicks off in Downtown Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- You don't have to head to the coast to enjoy the beach this Labor Day weekend. You can just head to Downtown Fresno for some fun in the sand instead.
On this Labor Day weekend many people are out trying to take advantage of the last few moments of summer.
Club One Casino's summer splash is a sandy smash with locals enjoying their stay-cation.
"It gives you that beach experience, but being in the Valley, so it's pretty cool. I think it's awesome!" Danielle Thornburg of Fresno said.
Thornburg brought her 4-year-old to play in the pools. Without owning a car, this was the next best thing to finding a ride to the coast.
"We just decided to bring him out here, thought it'd be fun, and it's the best decision we've made today," Thornburg said.
Kids also braved a giant 44-foot water slide called Slidezilla, and it's name did not disappoint.
"It was really fast, it's a little scary," Kassidy Thao said.
Beach volleyball was on full display as well as cabanas providing some shade.
From the beach front in the city to the lake shore in the foothills, families were out looking for a good time under the sun.
"This is nice, we'll take this all day. We have a lot of shade and the sunglasses, her idea," Mike Thieben of Palm Springs said.
Thieben and his friends came to Millerton Lake to enjoy their Labor Day weekend.
"Everybody has Monday off, so we get to recuperate - exactly, and we're going to need it," Yadira Baeza of Fresno said.
But not everyone is off this holiday Monday.
"This is my only day off, I work 6 days a week, so only day off, so I got to enjoy it as much as possible," Chad Ford of Fresno said.
Ford and his family were having some trouble launching their boat into the water but found some luck after a few tries.
The water was a great relief for families to cool down and enjoy the unofficial end of summer.
fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, local, carlos saucedo
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos