Fresno State fraternity Theta Chi suspended after death
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno State officials say a fraternity pledge has died following a night of drinking and now the university is suspending its recognition of Theta Chi.
Action News has learned Fresno police are investigating the death of 18-year-old Philip Dhanens.
University officials say they have suspended the Theta Chi fraternity following Friday's deadly incident.
Dhanens died Sunday at St Agnes Medical Center. His family says he was being kept alive on life support so they could donate his organs.
Action News has spoken with Dhanens' mother. She said he was just about two weeks into his freshman year at Fresno State.
She says Dhanens was starting the pledging process with the Theta Chi fraternity at Fresno State.
On Friday the group held a party after a formal dinner at its off-campus house. Details about what happened at that party are unclear but Dhanens' mother said she was called at 4 a.m. Saturday. She says the staff at St. Agnes Medical Center told her Dhanens suffered severe brain damage.
University officials said late Sunday in a news release the fraternity is barred from any official campus activities until an investigation is complete.
Action News spoke with several students at fraternity and sorority houses in the neighborhood near the Theta Chi house. No one was willing to comment about the incident on camera but Action News has learned some sororities are being told not to visit fraternity houses until further notice.
Fresno State officials say the Theta Chi fraternity is cooperating with the police investigation. They say councilors are being also being provided for students. There is no word yet on whether any charges will be filed.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, local, rick montanez
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County 25 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case 26 min ago
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian 55 min ago
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed