Fresno State fraternity Theta Chi suspended after death
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno State officials say a fraternity pledge has died following a night of drinking and now the university is suspending its recognition of Theta Chi.
Action News has learned Fresno police are investigating the death of 18-year-old Philip Dhanens.
University officials say they have suspended the Theta Chi fraternity following Friday's deadly incident.
Dhanens died Sunday at St Agnes Medical Center. His family says he was being kept alive on life support so they could donate his organs.
Action News has spoken with Dhanens' mother. She said he was just about two weeks into his freshman year at Fresno State.
She says Dhanens was starting the pledging process with the Theta Chi fraternity at Fresno State.
On Friday the group held a party after a formal dinner at its off-campus house. Details about what happened at that party are unclear but Dhanens' mother said she was called at 4 a.m. Saturday. She says the staff at St. Agnes Medical Center told her Dhanens suffered severe brain damage.
University officials said late Sunday in a news release the fraternity is barred from any official campus activities until an investigation is complete.
Action News spoke with several students at fraternity and sorority houses in the neighborhood near the Theta Chi house. No one was willing to comment about the incident on camera but Action News has learned some sororities are being told not to visit fraternity houses until further notice.
Fresno State officials say the Theta Chi fraternity is cooperating with the police investigation. They say councilors are being also being provided for students. There is no word yet on whether any charges will be filed.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, local, rick montanez
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe