Valley residents head to the mountains on Labor Day
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Splashing around Shaver Lake and hanging out in the picture perfect outdoors is all about making memories for the Estrada family.
"It makes me feel good inside to take the kids camping, fishing, swimming, you name it," said Monique Estrada. The ice cold water however isn't what the family's Chihuahua, Daisy, calls a great time. Monique's daughter, Autumn, says the pup would much rather run around and bark at people walking by.
Staff members at local rental companies say visitors are drawn to the area because of the much cooler temperatures at Shaver. Scott Brumback says, "Out of 120 properties we had about 6 rentals left so the last couple of days people realizing how hot it was in the Valley they came up last minute."
One Valley man made a trip up to the lake to propose to his girlfriend. Dathan Junge and his now fiancée, Angelyn, plan to get married in about a year.
shaver lake, fresno county, holiday, local, mariana jacob
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals