Valley residents head to the mountains on Labor Day
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Splashing around Shaver Lake and hanging out in the picture perfect outdoors is all about making memories for the Estrada family.
"It makes me feel good inside to take the kids camping, fishing, swimming, you name it," said Monique Estrada. The ice cold water however isn't what the family's Chihuahua, Daisy, calls a great time. Monique's daughter, Autumn, says the pup would much rather run around and bark at people walking by.
Staff members at local rental companies say visitors are drawn to the area because of the much cooler temperatures at Shaver. Scott Brumback says, "Out of 120 properties we had about 6 rentals left so the last couple of days people realizing how hot it was in the Valley they came up last minute."
One Valley man made a trip up to the lake to propose to his girlfriend. Dathan Junge and his now fiancée, Angelyn, plan to get married in about a year.
shaver lake, fresno county, holiday, local, mariana jacob
- Fresno woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Suspicious bags found by Boston Marathon scene
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers 11 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Tulare County-based drug smuggling ring busted
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Photos: Blood Moon seen across Valley skies
- Man rushes past security at Fresno airport
- Photos: Tax Day deals and freebies