Madera Co gets restraining order against homeless man
MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- A judge issued a restraining order against a homeless man accused of threatening Madera County employees.
Vernon Price appeared in Madera County court Wednesday, but he's more often found at the nearby government center. Price is homeless and frequently speaks at board of supervisors meetings about homeless issues. But the county's CAO says Price has become increasingly aggressive toward some employees, including himself. So the county filed for a restraining order.
Madera County Administrative Officer Eric Fleming said, "The fact that I've got increasing reports over the last year or two about increasing hostility, interactions with the employees, concerns they came to me with. They really escalated to a level that I felt I had no choice but to take this action."
Court documents claim Price talked to employees about "someone getting hurt," "someone getting killed," and "throwing Molotov cocktails." But Price insists those words were all taken out of context, and that he's not a threat to anyone.
"It may be perceived as that because a lot of times we say things and it can be interpreted a different way," Price said. "But there's also willful ignorance where people twist and manipulate words to say what they want it to say."
Despite the divide, both sides managed to reach a resolution in court. Price agreed to a restraining order that will keep him away from the government center for the next three years, except during board meetings. In exchange, the county agreed to quarterly meetings with Price and other homeless advocates.
Price's attorney Steven Geringer said, "The main thing is to take care of the homeless people in Madera County, we've had numerous attacks, we've had some murders."
Fleming says the county is committed to helping the homeless, and now everyone involved wants to focus on the future.
Price said, "I think this is a win win situation today."
homeless, madera county, madera, local, sara sandrik
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm 23 min ago
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- OTRC: Paul Walker autopsy results released
- BART train evacuated after brake problem
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Blue jean bandits hit Eye Candy Fashion Boutique
- Accuweather Forecast
21 min ago