Elderly woman dies from West Nile Virus in Merced County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An elderly woman is the first West Nile Virus-related death in Merced County this year. The woman had been hospitalized before she died.
Four other human West Nile Virus cases have been reported in Merced County so far in 2012; all of those people have recovered.
Merced County's West Nile Virus-related death is the fourth in California this year.
The potentially fatal disease, is carried by mosquitoes, from infected birds to humans.
west nile virus, merced county, merced, local, gene haagenson
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges 46 min ago
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'