Elderly woman dies from West Nile Virus in Merced County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An elderly woman is the first West Nile Virus-related death in Merced County this year. The woman had been hospitalized before she died.
Four other human West Nile Virus cases have been reported in Merced County so far in 2012; all of those people have recovered.
Merced County's West Nile Virus-related death is the fourth in California this year.
The potentially fatal disease, is carried by mosquitoes, from infected birds to humans.
west nile virus, merced county, merced, local, gene haagenson
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels