Elderly woman dies from West Nile Virus in Merced County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An elderly woman is the first West Nile Virus-related death in Merced County this year. The woman had been hospitalized before she died.
Four other human West Nile Virus cases have been reported in Merced County so far in 2012; all of those people have recovered.
Merced County's West Nile Virus-related death is the fourth in California this year.
The potentially fatal disease, is carried by mosquitoes, from infected birds to humans.
west nile virus, merced county, merced, local, gene haagenson
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home 35 min ago
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- 6 missing people found alive in northern Nevada
- Putin vows to beef up Arctic military presence
- Canada plans claim that would include North Pole
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno