Possible break in Valley hotel robberies
KINGSBURG, Calif. (KFSN) -- Valley law enforcement may have a break in a string of armed robberies at local hotels. Five people, including three teenagers, were arrested late Wednesday night.
Detectives said the suspects may be tied to more than ten robberies across the valley. The spree started Saturday in Fresno.
The group was arrested near Auburn in Placer County after deputies say they robbed a hotel and a convenience store.
Since Saturday detectives have collected surveillance video showing two to five masked and armed robbers rush into a hotel lobby, jump the counter, and steal several hundred dollars from each hotel.
"The big question here is, are they related," said Kingsburg Police Chief Jeff Dunn. "That is going to take some time to prove and to work through."
Chief Dunn believes the violent crime spree is connected to 26-year-old Jamaul Baker and his wife, 22-year-old, Justina Baker. The couple is now in custody in the Placer County jail. They, along with a 15-year-old and two 14-year-olds were arrested late Wednesday by Placer County deputies.
"The fact pattern, the descriptions, the vehicle, there are just a lot of similarities," Chief Dunn said.
Placer County officials told Action News the suspects were pulled over in a dodge sedan, like the one seen in security footage. In the robberies, detectives said the suspects mostly targeted hotels with easy freeway access.
Nearly all of the victims reported several men and a woman as their attackers. Now detectives with at least seven law enforcement agencies are working together to wrap up their investigations.
"They're going to be busy for the days and potentially weeks to come, sorting this all out, building their case to present to the district attorney," Dunn said.
All five suspects are from the Sacramento area. They all face robbery and conspiracy charges. Along with that, detectives said the two adults will be charged with child endangerment.
crimetracker, robbery, fresno county, kingsburg, santa nella, local, rick montanez
- Earthquake shakes parts of the Central Valley
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam