Two earthquakes rattle the Huron area
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two back-to-back earthquakes with magnitudes of 4.0 and 4.1 struck near Huron, Calif. in Fresno County at 6:22 a.m. and 6:23 a.m. PT, according to the USGS.
A magnitude-4.0 quake struck at 6:22 a.m. about six miles southeast of the Fresno County city of Huron, which is roughly 50 miles southwest of Fresno, the U.S. Geological Service reported.
A magnitude-4.1 quake struck the same area a minute later.
A Huron police dispatcher said she had not received any calls reporting damage or injuries.
The quakes came more than six hours after a small but shallow earthquake centered in the heart of Beverly Hills shook a lot of people awake. There were no injuries or damage reported from that quake as well.
The magnitude-3.5 quake struck at 12:03 a.m., triggering numerous calls to police and fire agencies. The U.S. Geological Survey said more than 4,000 people checked in on its website to say they felt it.
"There was no damage, nothing," Beverly Hills police Sgt. Sean Dexter said six hours after the quake.
"It was one kind of big bump and it was over," he said.
The Los Angeles Fire Department put its quake protocol into action and sent firefighters on the ground and in helicopters to check roads, bridges and other key infrastructure for problems. Nothing was found.
The shaking was evident from Santa Monica to Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley, City News Service reported.
Beverly Hills Police Department Watch Cmdr. Todd Withers told the Los Angeles Times that he felt a "sharp jolt" followed by a slow roll. The department received calls from residents, including some about burglar alarms going off.
It was the second earthquake centered in Beverly Hills this week. A magnitude-3.2 shaker was recorded Monday.
Los Angeles County is home to about 10 million people.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
earthquake, avenal, huron, fresno county, local, carlos saucedo
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76