One woman killed, officer stabbed in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An investigation is underway in Central Fresno after a woman was killed and a police officer was stabbed.
The stabbing happened Monday morning around 5 a.m. in the area of Van Ness and Home in Central Fresno, just south of Fresno City College. Police say a Fresno Police Officer was stabbed in the back of the head while trying to take the suspect into custody.
The suspect has been identified as 25-year-old Michael Crockell.Action News has learned Crockell was released from prison six months ago but got out early as a part of the state's plan to relieve overcrowding. He lives just across the street from the victims.
The officer who was wounded is Jonathan Linzey.
The scene was still very active late Monday morning. Several streets in the area remain blocked off. The crime scene processing team arrived to look for evidence.
Police say they have visited the apartment many times in the past. This time, the person who usually calls the police was the one who was unconscious and needed help.
"At 5 o'clock this morning we received multiple calls to our dispatch center from a frantic female stating she had been stabbed, and that her roommate had also been stabbed -- and that her roommate was dying," said Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer.
Before responding officers could get to the victim, Dyer said they were confronted by an armed suspect."Some type of a struggle ensued between the officer and the suspect. At that point, the suspect stabbed one of our officers in the back of the head."
The officer suffered a several inch gash to his head, but he is expected to recover. Police say the suspect was subdued through the use of non-lethal force -- a taser gun.
Witnesses say the 43-year-old victim who died was well known in the neighborhood. Many neighbors say she constantly complained about others and may have had mental health issues.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, stabbing, local, sontaya rose
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Blue jean bandits hit Eye Candy Fashion Boutique
- Man and two children killed in Merced fire
- Video: Fresno's Christmas Tree Lane sees big crowds
- Suspect hit in Fresno Co. officer involved shooting
- City of Fresno to open warming center
- 68th annual Candy Cane Lane Parade sees changes
- Defense takes over in Fresno paralegal murder trial
- Pacheco High School founding principal loses battle with cancer
- Man accused of Visalia teen's death pleads not guilty