One woman killed, officer stabbed in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An investigation is underway in Central Fresno after a woman was killed and a police officer was stabbed.
The stabbing happened Monday morning around 5 a.m. in the area of Van Ness and Home in Central Fresno, just south of Fresno City College. Police say a Fresno Police Officer was stabbed in the back of the head while trying to take the suspect into custody.
The suspect has been identified as 25-year-old Michael Crockell.Action News has learned Crockell was released from prison six months ago but got out early as a part of the state's plan to relieve overcrowding. He lives just across the street from the victims.
The officer who was wounded is Jonathan Linzey.
The scene was still very active late Monday morning. Several streets in the area remain blocked off. The crime scene processing team arrived to look for evidence.
Police say they have visited the apartment many times in the past. This time, the person who usually calls the police was the one who was unconscious and needed help.
"At 5 o'clock this morning we received multiple calls to our dispatch center from a frantic female stating she had been stabbed, and that her roommate had also been stabbed -- and that her roommate was dying," said Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer.
Before responding officers could get to the victim, Dyer said they were confronted by an armed suspect."Some type of a struggle ensued between the officer and the suspect. At that point, the suspect stabbed one of our officers in the back of the head."
The officer suffered a several inch gash to his head, but he is expected to recover. Police say the suspect was subdued through the use of non-lethal force -- a taser gun.
Witnesses say the 43-year-old victim who died was well known in the neighborhood. Many neighbors say she constantly complained about others and may have had mental health issues.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, stabbing, local, sontaya rose
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather