One woman killed, officer stabbed in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An investigation is underway in Central Fresno after a woman was killed and a police officer was stabbed.
The stabbing happened Monday morning around 5 a.m. in the area of Van Ness and Home in Central Fresno, just south of Fresno City College. Police say a Fresno Police Officer was stabbed in the back of the head while trying to take the suspect into custody.
The suspect has been identified as 25-year-old Michael Crockell.Action News has learned Crockell was released from prison six months ago but got out early as a part of the state's plan to relieve overcrowding. He lives just across the street from the victims.
The officer who was wounded is Jonathan Linzey.
The scene was still very active late Monday morning. Several streets in the area remain blocked off. The crime scene processing team arrived to look for evidence.
Police say they have visited the apartment many times in the past. This time, the person who usually calls the police was the one who was unconscious and needed help.
"At 5 o'clock this morning we received multiple calls to our dispatch center from a frantic female stating she had been stabbed, and that her roommate had also been stabbed -- and that her roommate was dying," said Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer.
Before responding officers could get to the victim, Dyer said they were confronted by an armed suspect."Some type of a struggle ensued between the officer and the suspect. At that point, the suspect stabbed one of our officers in the back of the head."
The officer suffered a several inch gash to his head, but he is expected to recover. Police say the suspect was subdued through the use of non-lethal force -- a taser gun.
Witnesses say the 43-year-old victim who died was well known in the neighborhood. Many neighbors say she constantly complained about others and may have had mental health issues.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, stabbing, local, sontaya rose
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- Jay Leno among TV Hall of Fame inductees