Valve thefts leave buildings without water
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A rash of recent brass water valve thefts has not only left office buildings without water, it's also creating a dangerous safety situation.
This week we've seen a few more brass water valves stolen from outside buildings. The thefts are now raising concern among Valley firefighters.
Businesses have resumed operation at "The Loft" in Central Fresno, where the Babylon Club and a tattoo shop operate.
The building's brass water valves have just been replaced. Manager David Evans says thieves stole the valves over the weekend.
"We're down water to a whole building. All the businesses can't open. They can't make money. If they can't make money they don't pay the rent so it's very frustrating," building manager David Evans said.
The on-going thefts could also pose safety problems if Fresno City Fire Department connections are taken along with the brass valves.
"We would definitely be concerned if metal theft affects our connections, where we connect our hoses, our fire department connections. If we start seeing a rise in metal theft of FDC connections that could affect water delivery and it could affect life safety for that property," Sean Johnson of the Fresno Police Department said.
Water valves were also stolen outside the building which houses the non-profit group Exceptional Parents Unlimited.
"There was another valve like this one and what they did is tie a chain to it and pull it out with a truck. Water was gushing out and somebody called the city to shut off the water," maintenance specialist Ruben Tapia said.
The new valves are now protected by a metal cage. Evans is considering something similar.
"I don't know. We could build a cage around it but that's only a deterrent. If they're determined to get to it they'll cut through the cage," Evans said.
Evans says he's just trying to figure out some way to effectively protect his valves.
fresno, fresno county, theft, crimetracker, local, dale yurong
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake 42 min ago
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say 28 min ago
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings