Graphic testimony in Marine attempted murder trial
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- There was graphic testimony in a former Marine's attempted murder trial as Dejon Baskin demonstrated the techniques he learned in the military - the ways which he was trained to kill people.
Baskin is accused of shooting and stabbing his ex-wife and her family members three years ago.
Baskin and his attorney both say he suffers from depression and alcoholism. The former Marine said the time leading up to the attack was the worst week of his life.
But prosecutors say Baskin has been planning his defense from the minute police arrived at the crime scene.
"I felt like a failure, I couldn't be a dad, I couldn't be a husband, I couldn't be a Marine, I couldn't be a man, I couldn't be anything," Baskin said.
Baskin said his ultimate plan, the reason he drove from San Diego to Reedley in July of 2009 was to see his daughter, write a will- and then commit suicide.
"The week leading up to this instance I was the most depressed I've ever been in my life. I felt worthless, I just wanted to end it, I wanted to go," Baskin said.
Baskin showed up at his ex-wife's family's house, told the jury he hid in the garage because he wanted to catch Rachel Baskin off guard.
Police have a different account of what happened. Officers responded to dozens of 911 calls, one of them from Rachel Baskin. She testified in court about the day her husband slashed her throat.
"He had a gun in his right hand and a knife in his left and he put it to my head," she testified.
Detectives also say Dejon Baskin appeared surprised when he was told that Rachel Baskin and her family members survived the attacks. His attorneys claim he doesn't remember the violence and blames his PTSD from years of military service.
His military service is yet another point of contention as the Baskin trial continues. The prosecution says there's conflicting accounts about what Baskin saw and did in the service.
Action News has learned combat veterans will testify about military life in the next phase of this trial.
reedley, fresno county, crimetracker, local, stephanie stone
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels 57 min ago
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting
- Fresno County man arrested after running from deputies
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases