Family speaks out after mother found dead
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A mother of five from Fresno has died in what police believe is a murder-suicide in Sacramento.
The children of Kassandra Atterberry say they are devastated over her sudden death. Her boyfriend, Eugene Stevenson, was also found dead in the home. Sacramento police are still trying to figure out what exactly led to the murder-suicide.
Atterberry's children last spoke to her Saturday afternoon. They said she was fine. But when they didn't hear from her for a few days, they became worried. They sent a relative to the home Wednesday, where they made the awful discovery.
Aaliyah, Luke, and Faith Haqq are trying to remember all the good times they shared with their mother, Kassandra Atterberry. But her sudden tragic death has left her children with many unanswered questions.
"I mean it's just hard right now because she passed away but we trying to maintain, we trying to do good, my mom, she's a good person, I don't understand why her life got took like this," Aaliyah said.
Sacramento police say Atterberry and her boyfriend, Eugene Stevenson, were found dead Wednesday inside a home family members say was Stevenson's. Relatives suspect the couple died Saturday night or early Sunday.
Friday, three of Atterberry's children talked about the impact she had on their lives.
"When I went to Sacramento when we had a tournament out there, she was like there in the stands, supporting me and it's hard. I'm going to dedicate this season to her," Luke said.
"She was trying to get her life back together and now she's gone, rest in peace, mom," Faith said.
Police are not revealing who they believe was the aggressor and who was the victim. So far, the Sacramento County Coroner's Office is not releasing a cause of death.
Her children aren't sure what happened. They say Eugene was good to them and her mother seemed happy with him. They miss their mom already are also waiting to find out what led to the violent ending.
Atterberry's children say they regret not going with her to Sacramento last weekend. Instead they planned to go this weekend. Funeral services are pending.
The family has a bank account set up to accept donations. It is at Wells Fargo and the account number is 1238210213. Donations can be made at any Wells Fargo bank.
sacramento, fresno, fresno county, crimetracker, murder-suicide, local, sontaya rose
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos