Avenal struggles after the loss of a fifth grader
AVENAL, Calif. (KFSN) -- The school community in Avenal is helping students cope with the loss of a ten-year-old after a car crash.
Even Perez died on Saturday morning while riding to a football game in Los Banos -- in an SUV with his mother and four other children. CHP says Even died on the scene.
Grief counselors are scheduled to help students at Tamarack Elementary throughout the week. Staff members say children and teachers are struggling after his death. Even's fifth grade teacher also installed a poster where students wrote messages to express their feelings.
Debbie Adams said, "I just went in there with the experience that your emotions are okay we are all going through a sadness."
Even's football team is also reeling after the news of his death. Coaches say they plan on retiring his jersey, number seven as a way to honor his life.
If you would like to help with funeral or medical expenses for the Perez' family -- an account has been set up at the FAST Federal Credit Union in Hanford.
Even Perez, #7
FAST Federal Credit Union
312 W. 7th St.
Hanford, CA 93230
kings county, avenal, fresno county, fresno, local, mariana jacob
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- Pep Boys shops closed and under suspension
- Young woman dies in hit-run crash on Highway 99
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Clovis mother writes 'It's Ok, Mama Has Cancer'
- Arraignment postponed in accidental Fresno shooting
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Merced water restrictions a step closer to reality
- Car crash knocks doctor's office off its foundation
- Small Wyoming town evacuated after gas explosion
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Memory palace: coping with chemo brain
- Valley sees progress against air pollution