Avenal struggles after the loss of a fifth grader
AVENAL, Calif. (KFSN) -- The school community in Avenal is helping students cope with the loss of a ten-year-old after a car crash.
Even Perez died on Saturday morning while riding to a football game in Los Banos -- in an SUV with his mother and four other children. CHP says Even died on the scene.
Grief counselors are scheduled to help students at Tamarack Elementary throughout the week. Staff members say children and teachers are struggling after his death. Even's fifth grade teacher also installed a poster where students wrote messages to express their feelings.
Debbie Adams said, "I just went in there with the experience that your emotions are okay we are all going through a sadness."
Even's football team is also reeling after the news of his death. Coaches say they plan on retiring his jersey, number seven as a way to honor his life.
If you would like to help with funeral or medical expenses for the Perez' family -- an account has been set up at the FAST Federal Credit Union in Hanford.
Even Perez, #7
FAST Federal Credit Union
312 W. 7th St.
Hanford, CA 93230
kings county, avenal, fresno county, fresno, local, mariana jacob
- 700 Carstens Fire evacuees will be allowed home 58 min ago
- Sierra Fire near Auberry at 50 percent containment
- Firefighters save home north of Clovis
- Resources stretched thin as fires ignite around the Valley
- Grapes become Fresno County's 1st billion dollar crop
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails
- FPD seize weapons from gang members
- Car Crashes into a Visalia Chipotle
- Man finds Reedley mother's stolen ashes
- Police identify Central Fresno murder suspect