Suspicious death in Northwest Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A gruesome discovery in Northwest Fresno, after police find a man's body in the backyard of a vacant foreclosed home. It happened near Rialto and Crystal around 9:30 Tuesday night.
Investigators are labeling the man's death as "suspicious" and they credit local neighborhood watch groups, who called police after hearing strange noises coming from the abandoned home.
The normally quiet neighborhood was crawling with police officers, and helicopters circled the community through Wednesday morning.
Phylis Bence is part of the neighborhood watch group. She and others followed their phone tree; called everyone on the block after watching a truck pull up to the home on the corner. After they heard the strange noises, they each called police.
It wasn't until officers went into the backyard that they discovered the man's body. Lieutenant Mark Salazer says it was "wrapped in material" and that his officers barely missed the person who drove the truck to the home. He said, "They saw the subject leave, there's been prior vandalism at that house, they were concerned".
Neighbors say the vandalism has been a recurring since the house went vacant about two years ago.
Bence said, "Plants being taken, fixtures inside the house, different damage done on the inside".
The house is in escrow, and the potential buyers have learned about the discovery in the backyard. Neighbors like Bence hope the mystery in the backyard doesn't prevent people from moving in.
Bence said, "It's a good neighborhood, don't be afraid to come here, you'll see people walking, people are friendly, people who care about each other".
Investigators do not yet know how the man died, but say there is some evidence of trauma.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, crimetracker, local, stephanie stone
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Washington bridge 55 min ago
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; 200-plus rescued
- Obama: Nation must do more for fallen heroes 54 min ago
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak 56 min ago
- UK zookeeper dies from tiger attack injuries 59 min ago
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities 44 min ago
- Fresno State's famous sweet corn went on sale
- Are there enough police officers in Visalia?
- Good Sports: Kensuke Tanaka