Suspicious death in Northwest Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A gruesome discovery in Northwest Fresno, after police find a man's body in the backyard of a vacant foreclosed home. It happened near Rialto and Crystal around 9:30 Tuesday night.
Investigators are labeling the man's death as "suspicious" and they credit local neighborhood watch groups, who called police after hearing strange noises coming from the abandoned home.
The normally quiet neighborhood was crawling with police officers, and helicopters circled the community through Wednesday morning.
Phylis Bence is part of the neighborhood watch group. She and others followed their phone tree; called everyone on the block after watching a truck pull up to the home on the corner. After they heard the strange noises, they each called police.
It wasn't until officers went into the backyard that they discovered the man's body. Lieutenant Mark Salazer says it was "wrapped in material" and that his officers barely missed the person who drove the truck to the home. He said, "They saw the subject leave, there's been prior vandalism at that house, they were concerned".
Neighbors say the vandalism has been a recurring since the house went vacant about two years ago.
Bence said, "Plants being taken, fixtures inside the house, different damage done on the inside".
The house is in escrow, and the potential buyers have learned about the discovery in the backyard. Neighbors like Bence hope the mystery in the backyard doesn't prevent people from moving in.
Bence said, "It's a good neighborhood, don't be afraid to come here, you'll see people walking, people are friendly, people who care about each other".
Investigators do not yet know how the man died, but say there is some evidence of trauma.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, crimetracker, local, stephanie stone
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos