Action News photog receives citizen awards
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Some local brave men and women were recognized at a special ceremony in Clovis. It was all part of the Fresno and Madera County Police Chiefs Association's Annual Citizen Awards.
Some of our Valley's brave citizens were honored Wednesday. Everyday people who have gone above and beyond to help save the life of another person. At a special ceremony in Clovis -- Fresno and Madera County city leaders awarded Good Samaritans with the annual Citizens Award.
Action News Photo Journalist Chuck Hoover was among the dozens of people who were recognized for their bravery. Chuck, along with another man risked their lives to rescue a woman from a burning mobile home earlier this year.
"The average citizen is amazing," Hoover said. "At any given time they could do beyond or above the call of duty shall we say... to save others whether they know them or not."
Chuck has worked at Channel 30 for more than four decades. But it's his instincts from a background in emergency response that kicked in that February morning. Chuck, who says he's just about ready to retire, has spent the past 35 years as a volunteer firefighter with Station 19 in the Madera Ranchos.
Chuck admits it feels good to be recognized. But says he's much more comfortable out of the spotlight, and just doing his job, whether it's operating the Station 19 fire truck or picking up an Action News camera.
fresno county, fresno, clovis, madera county, madera, local, jason oliveira
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Sikh man who was beaten shares his story
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos