Action News photog receives citizen awards
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Some local brave men and women were recognized at a special ceremony in Clovis. It was all part of the Fresno and Madera County Police Chiefs Association's Annual Citizen Awards.
Some of our Valley's brave citizens were honored Wednesday. Everyday people who have gone above and beyond to help save the life of another person. At a special ceremony in Clovis -- Fresno and Madera County city leaders awarded Good Samaritans with the annual Citizens Award.
Action News Photo Journalist Chuck Hoover was among the dozens of people who were recognized for their bravery. Chuck, along with another man risked their lives to rescue a woman from a burning mobile home earlier this year.
"The average citizen is amazing," Hoover said. "At any given time they could do beyond or above the call of duty shall we say... to save others whether they know them or not."
Chuck has worked at Channel 30 for more than four decades. But it's his instincts from a background in emergency response that kicked in that February morning. Chuck, who says he's just about ready to retire, has spent the past 35 years as a volunteer firefighter with Station 19 in the Madera Ranchos.
Chuck admits it feels good to be recognized. But says he's much more comfortable out of the spotlight, and just doing his job, whether it's operating the Station 19 fire truck or picking up an Action News camera.
fresno county, fresno, clovis, madera county, madera, local, jason oliveira
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law 23 min ago
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Valley thieves target truck tailgates
- Schools prepare for new transgender law
26 min ago
- Accuweather Forecast
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos