Computer repair scam hits the Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Computer scammers strike again, and they're targeting people here in the Valley. The Better Business Bureau told Action News that hundreds of people here in the Valley have already been contacted by the fake company.
The BBB said the crooks are cold calling their victims, trying to scare them into buying security software. But that really just opens up the victims to identity theft.
Christie Smith said when she received a phone call about the security problems on her PC she was concerned. At first, the call didn't seem odd since she had just installed software to help her PC run better.
"I got a phone call from aBbrad. And Brad said he was with Microsoft support," Smith said.
Smith also said Brad told her the problem he detected was with a PC registered in her name. But the computer is actually not in her name. So Smith, a BBB employee, called her boss.
After some online digging the pair discovered the plot to rip off unsuspecting computer users.
"These scammers that are calling are trying to gain access to your computer to either install malware or gain access to personal information," said Cindy Dudley, Director of Business Services.
What the company also wants, according to the BBB, is for the victims to spend another $150 on software to give the scammers that access.
Dudley said major companies, like Microsoft, would never make cold calls for computer repairs.
"If you think your computer is at risk, go to your own computer vendor, your own software people or go to the manufacturer," Dudley warned.
Smith said she thought the program she installed was reputable. Her takeaway from the incident, do your homework before you buy anything.
It's not clear whether anyone's identity has been stolen. But we're told several people have paid the $150 for what they found out later is scam software.
And the BBB said at least one person is still trying to get their money back.
scams, local, rick montanez
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- USC routs No. 21 Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos