Judge hears arguments on Friant Ranch project
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A planned senior housing village with 25-hundred units north of Fresno is involved in a bitter legal battle.
The hills along Friant Road would be transformed into residential and commercial development under the Friant Ranch project across from Lost Lake. But the plan approved by Fresno County has been the target of several lawsuits.
Critics of Friant Ranch are concerned with added traffic, air and water pollution. Developers, though, see this area with rolling foothills as the perfect spot to build a large housing development for seniors.
The San Joaquin River Parkway and Conservation Trust has filed a lawsuit to halt the project. Chairman Coke Hallowell feels a new environmental impact report with impact fees should be ordered.
"So that that community can support the park. They're right across the street. The impact would be dramatic here if there is six or eight- thousand people living right there. They'll be using the park," Hallowell said.
Fresno County supervisors have already approved the project but the City of Fresno filed a lawsuit over claims of unnecessary sprawl. The conservation trust also had concerns with a planned sewage treatment plant.
"Its proximity to the river. If we had a flooding year there is great potential for water pollution issues to happen. Second, the visual impact of it. This is a very important park for us. You see people fishing today," program director Sarah Parkes said.
Developers believe the project would help revitalize Friant. A Fresno County judge on Friday heard arguments for and against Friant Ranch.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northeast, local, dale yurong
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years