Emotional homecoming for Valley soldiers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A crowd made up of dozens of family members, friends, and fellow veterans welcomed Valley soldiers home at Fresno Yosemite International Airport.
A soldier from Selma got a hero's welcome from his wife and kids at FYI airport Friday.
23 other soldiers from the 1072nd Transportation Company with the Army National Guard arrived later Friday.
The company is part of the 30 thousand troops being withdrawn from Afghanistan.
They were sent in as part of the 2009 surge.
Sgt. Sergio Rubio lost his buddy during his third deployment overseas. He say's he's grateful to be back with his family.
"It's the hardest part doing all of this, there's a lot of danger out there, but there's nothing harder than leaving your kids, it's the hardest part of being a soldier," Sgt. Rubio said.
Sgt. Rubio says he's looking forward to spending time with his family and enjoying some local Valley food.
afghanistan, selma, fresno county, local
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges 3 min ago
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'