Emotional homecoming for Valley soldiers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A crowd made up of dozens of family members, friends, and fellow veterans welcomed Valley soldiers home at Fresno Yosemite International Airport.
A soldier from Selma got a hero's welcome from his wife and kids at FYI airport Friday.
23 other soldiers from the 1072nd Transportation Company with the Army National Guard arrived later Friday.
The company is part of the 30 thousand troops being withdrawn from Afghanistan.
They were sent in as part of the 2009 surge.
Sgt. Sergio Rubio lost his buddy during his third deployment overseas. He say's he's grateful to be back with his family.
"It's the hardest part doing all of this, there's a lot of danger out there, but there's nothing harder than leaving your kids, it's the hardest part of being a soldier," Sgt. Rubio said.
Sgt. Rubio says he's looking forward to spending time with his family and enjoying some local Valley food.
afghanistan, selma, fresno county, local
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004