Emotional homecoming for Valley soldiers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A crowd made up of dozens of family members, friends, and fellow veterans welcomed Valley soldiers home at Fresno Yosemite International Airport.
A soldier from Selma got a hero's welcome from his wife and kids at FYI airport Friday.
23 other soldiers from the 1072nd Transportation Company with the Army National Guard arrived later Friday.
The company is part of the 30 thousand troops being withdrawn from Afghanistan.
They were sent in as part of the 2009 surge.
Sgt. Sergio Rubio lost his buddy during his third deployment overseas. He say's he's grateful to be back with his family.
"It's the hardest part doing all of this, there's a lot of danger out there, but there's nothing harder than leaving your kids, it's the hardest part of being a soldier," Sgt. Rubio said.
Sgt. Rubio says he's looking forward to spending time with his family and enjoying some local Valley food.
afghanistan, selma, fresno county, local
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos