Emotional homecoming for Valley soldiers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A crowd made up of dozens of family members, friends, and fellow veterans welcomed Valley soldiers home at Fresno Yosemite International Airport.
A soldier from Selma got a hero's welcome from his wife and kids at FYI airport Friday.
23 other soldiers from the 1072nd Transportation Company with the Army National Guard arrived later Friday.
The company is part of the 30 thousand troops being withdrawn from Afghanistan.
They were sent in as part of the 2009 surge.
Sgt. Sergio Rubio lost his buddy during his third deployment overseas. He say's he's grateful to be back with his family.
"It's the hardest part doing all of this, there's a lot of danger out there, but there's nothing harder than leaving your kids, it's the hardest part of being a soldier," Sgt. Rubio said.
Sgt. Rubio says he's looking forward to spending time with his family and enjoying some local Valley food.
afghanistan, selma, fresno county, local
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Sikh man who was beaten shares his story
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos