Emotional homecoming for Valley soldiers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A crowd made up of dozens of family members, friends, and fellow veterans welcomed Valley soldiers home at Fresno Yosemite International Airport.
A soldier from Selma got a hero's welcome from his wife and kids at FYI airport Friday.
23 other soldiers from the 1072nd Transportation Company with the Army National Guard arrived later Friday.
The company is part of the 30 thousand troops being withdrawn from Afghanistan.
They were sent in as part of the 2009 surge.
Sgt. Sergio Rubio lost his buddy during his third deployment overseas. He say's he's grateful to be back with his family.
"It's the hardest part doing all of this, there's a lot of danger out there, but there's nothing harder than leaving your kids, it's the hardest part of being a soldier," Sgt. Rubio said.
Sgt. Rubio says he's looking forward to spending time with his family and enjoying some local Valley food.
afghanistan, selma, fresno county, local
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking 6 min ago
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back 55 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- River Park Little League ready to play ball
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos