Fresno man sentenced for father's murder
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno man was sentenced Friday to 26-years to life in prison for murdering his father with a hammer just a few months ago.
Charles Hudibergh confessed to killing his elderly father after he says he became overwhelmed caring for him.
Hudibergh has a master's degree and until this past April no criminal history. But his attorney says a failed marriage and his obligation to care for his 81-year-old father became too much.
From the start, Defense Attorney Jane Boulger says Hudibergh confessed to beating his father to death with a hammer.
The lengthy sentence means he will likely spend the rest of his life in prison.
"He is actually handling it fine. He embraces his responsibility," Boulger said.
The judge told the court the victim was vulnerable, elderly and asleep when he was murdered.
Hudibergh's attorney says her client was hospitalized for depression not long before the murder. But although she says it wasn't enough for a defense, her client wanted to do what he felt was right.
"From day one he has wanted to plead guilty. He is very remorseful, he got overwhelmed and this tragedy occurred," Boulger said.
Police say the father and son were arguing prior to the murder. When Hudibergh called for help he told 911 operators they had a disagreement and he felt his father needed medical attention.
Neighbors told Action News Hudibergh seemed very depressed in days leading up to the brutal attack.
fresno, fresno county, murder, crimetracker, local, sontaya rose
- Feds look to protect frogs, toad in Sierra Nevada
- Native American remains found during fishing trip
- 18-month-old child dies in Kern County house fire
- Mariposa fire evacuees are heading home
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini, 51, dies
- Brian Calhoun pleads not guilty in student attack
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns
- Panel restores some pay for California lawmakers, governor
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Valley kids get a new perspective on water
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos