Sanger shooting leaves one person dead
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man is in jail, accused of murdering another man in front of his family in Sanger.
The deadly shooting happened around 10 p.m. Friday night outside a home near Jensen and Faller. The suspect's identity has not been released.
Family members say the victim is 25-year-old Nicolas Flores.
Eduardo Flores is still in shock after a man shot his older brother Nicolas on the family's front lawn. The loss of Nicolas, or "Nicco" as he was known to those close to him, has devastated his entire family.
"He didn't have problems with anybody probably he was the best brother I ever had," Flores said.
Family members tell Action News they were having a barbecue when the suspect came to the house.
"The guy was asking for supposedly his sister and my brother told him to leave because we were going to call the cops," Flores said.
Flores says that's when the man shot him in the arm and chest.
The shooting happened as Sanger Police were heading to the scene for reports of a suspicious person in the area. Investigators say the gunman tried to get away.
"Another officer who came in from a different area found a subject fleeing the scene," Cpl. Brandon Coles of the Sanger Police Department said.
Officers arrested the suspect and booked him into jail on homicide charges. Detectives do not believe he knew the victim.
"It happened right in front of the family so that's a pretty tragic event for anybody and plus to lose a loved one," Coles said.
Now as police search for a motive his family is struggling to deal with his death.
"My mom she feels terrible. She is like destroyed," Flores said.
sanger, fresno county, shooting, crimetracker, local
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Hotels helping displaced guests after Oakhurst Lodge fire
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires