Sanger shooting leaves one person dead
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man is in jail, accused of murdering another man in front of his family in Sanger.
The deadly shooting happened around 10 p.m. Friday night outside a home near Jensen and Faller. The suspect's identity has not been released.
Family members say the victim is 25-year-old Nicolas Flores.
Eduardo Flores is still in shock after a man shot his older brother Nicolas on the family's front lawn. The loss of Nicolas, or "Nicco" as he was known to those close to him, has devastated his entire family.
"He didn't have problems with anybody probably he was the best brother I ever had," Flores said.
Family members tell Action News they were having a barbecue when the suspect came to the house.
"The guy was asking for supposedly his sister and my brother told him to leave because we were going to call the cops," Flores said.
Flores says that's when the man shot him in the arm and chest.
The shooting happened as Sanger Police were heading to the scene for reports of a suspicious person in the area. Investigators say the gunman tried to get away.
"Another officer who came in from a different area found a subject fleeing the scene," Cpl. Brandon Coles of the Sanger Police Department said.
Officers arrested the suspect and booked him into jail on homicide charges. Detectives do not believe he knew the victim.
"It happened right in front of the family so that's a pretty tragic event for anybody and plus to lose a loved one," Coles said.
Now as police search for a motive his family is struggling to deal with his death.
"My mom she feels terrible. She is like destroyed," Flores said.
sanger, fresno county, shooting, crimetracker, local
- Two killed in shooting near Exeter
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Police say 5 dead in Calgary stabbings
- Combat vehicles in east Ukraine fly Russian flag
- China's growth slows to 7.4 percent in 1Q
- Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal expenses
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"