Edison High School student killed in Fresno shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Grief counselors will be at Edison High School Tuesday to help students deal with the loss of a classmate. A football player was shot and killed while walking near a busy intersection in Central Fresno.
The shooting happened near Ashlan and Marks around 7 p.m. Monday night.
The intersection at Ashlan and Marks was closed for most of Monday evening while police investigated the shooting. Community and family members are calling it a senseless crime.
"My brother was just shot and he passed away. That's all I can say that's all I know," said Vincent Andrews.
Vincent Andrews came to the crime scene at Ashlan and Marks after visiting his brother in the hospital. He told Action News that his brother, a teen he identifies as 18-year-old Marquis Sutton, did not make it out of surgery. "He don't bother anyone, he just plays football for Edison High School. I don't know what happened. This is senseless."
Fresno Police say they got a call, shortly after 7 o'clock Monday night, about a man laying in the sidewalk. Officers arrived on scene and rushed the victim to the hospital.
His family members also rushed to the crime scene, looking for any sort of information about what may have happened. Neighbors say there was a shooting. Two teens who know each other from playing football at Edison, and a 13-year-old were all walking on Ashlan when shots were fired.
"I don't know what happened I just got a phone call to hurry up and come to my nephews house. His friends got shot I got over here my two nephews are right there," said Yolanda Upshaw of Fresno.
Police have not release much information. But they did say they were investigating a homicide.
The victim's family claims this is the second homicide to happen to one family in the past few months. "His brother just got killed in June -- Marvin. And now another one in the family. I don't understand what's going on out here," said Andrews.
The homicide team is questioning witnesses and following leads. Action News Sports Anchor David Bataller spoke with Edison Head Football Coach Ricky Manning Junior. He said, "I just left that kid after practice at 6:30, and I got this news before I made it home. This is devastating for our team and our community."
The Fresno Unified School District also issued a statement about the murder: "This is not only a tragedy to the students and staff of Edison High School and the Fresno Unified family, but also the entire community."
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, crimetracker, homicide, murder, local, stephanie stone
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident