Toddler's death leads to abuse awareness campaign
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The death of a South Valley toddler who police say was abused at by her mother's boyfriend has prompted a family member to begin a crusade against child abuse.
This, as the preliminary hearing continued for Christopher Cheary. He's the South Valley man accused of torturing and sexually abusing Sophia Acosta.
Kathy Cruz came to court Friday to support her family as they heard graphic details about the trauma that little Sophia Acosta endured before she died.
For the first time she listened as a doctor who examined Sophia testified about the brutal injuries.
"It's hard, it's a lot of details. A lot of things that no child need to go through. It's just heartbreaking," Cruz said.
But Kathy isn't just Sophia's cousin, she is also the child abuse prevention specialist for Kings County.
"Nine out of the ten abusers are family and friends," Cruz said.
Kathy's personal experience and Sophia's death have made her even more passionate about preventing child abuse. Now she begins her presentations with a powerful video about Sophia's tragic story.
As an advocate Kathy teaches parents how to take care of their children and make sure they are safe.
"It's all about prevention, teaching them who they are leaving their kids with because you don't know who when you leave your child there who you are because you don't know when you leave your child there, who else is coming into the house," Cruz said.
Her family's personal loss has made Kathy's career a calling. She wants parents and babysitters to know, it's ok for them to take a time out too, when things are getting too overwhelming.
tulare county, sex crimes, crimetracker, local, sontaya rose
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals